Thursday 5 September 2013

Poetry Book Review: 'Lifting The Piano With One Hand' by Gaia Holmes

‘Lifting The Piano With One Hand’

By Gaia Holmes
Published by Comma Press
RRP £7.99 (paperback)
ISBN 9781905583270
Reviewed by Lynsey Evans

Gaia Holmes’ new collection is quite readable; I found a lot of it was like reading a stream of consciousness, which elegantly flows and makes the theme of loss and hope something special. I love the titles, such as ‘I Turned My Heart into a 2-Star B&B’ or ‘The Man Who Dripped Digitalis’ – they are intriguing and conjure up great imagery. If you like poems that adhere to a strict format, then this isn’t the collection for you. Its free-flowing musings are enchanting and I urge you to give it a read.

Highly recommended for readers aged 14+


You can find out more about Gaia Holmes and purchase her books here.

No comments:

Post a Comment